Saturday, April 11, 2009

Let's hear it for trash books!

I like trash books.

For anyone who doesn't know what I am referring to- trash books are paperback romances, the kind that don't require a lot of thought- they entertain and are mindless- you can put them down and pick them up whenever you need to. Don't get me wrong, I love a good book, something meatier, the kind that you can't put down, but those kind of books I have to reserve for summertime when I am off and/or on vacation.

I was once asked if I wanted join a book club... *sigh* ok- in theory, book clubs are a nice idea, but the whole concept makes me feel pressured. I mean first of all the books chosen are usually heavy... then there is the whole time frame.. you HAVE to have the whole thing read by a specific time- I'm sorry but I finished college over 25 years ago and the idea of being given an "assignment to be read" is too much pressure for my life-I am a working mom - plus it takes the fun out of reading for me. Reading for me is relaxation- a release from my everyday life- something to be enjoyed.

My mom reads trash books too, so between the ones I buy and the steady supply she gives me I have plenty to pass along to friends & family. I used to be a little embarrassed by my trash books (like they were some little dirty secret) but then after a while I had accumulated a whole carton full and needed to get rid of them.

I found a used book store and took a grocery bag full along with me. I walked in and began speaking with the owner. She informed me in no uncertain terms that she did not carry paperback "romance books"-like they were for lepers or something. You would've thought the woman who waited on me was selling freaking gold covered books for crying out loud. Her nose was stuck up her butt so far i decided that was her problem.

So then I took some into work. I put a bag of about 12-15 in the teachers lounge with a sign saying "help yourself"- and by the end of the school day they were
ALL gone. I thought maybe a few might be taken... but not all of them... The next week I did it again, and again, within 24 hrs. all were gone again.

In a small way I felt redeemed... but honestly it doesn't matter... I know what I like and what I have time for. I mean if high school teachers are scarfing them up like hotcakes they can't be that bad. Plus the people who write these books are making A LOT of money! Hmm... I've read these books for 25 years... think of all the money I have spent through the years. I wonder if I could write one? Nah..... then it would feel like work. Maybe someday when I retire and have more time... who knows?

But for now- it's a rainy Saturday and unbelievably I am the only one home... so I need to get back and see what Jack & Janine are going to do next! Bring on the trash! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment