Friday, February 15, 2013

# 15 Or else


As a parent there always comes a time when you find yourself resorting to saying something like "because I said so"  or "or else".

This usually works when your kids are little but it loses it's effectiveness as they grow older.

I'm probably showing my age, because they say one sure fire way to sound older is to talk about how disrespectful society's  youth have become. But honestly, in today's society it is not just the youth... it's prevalent across the board. People just don't seem to give a shit about a lot anymore.

I don't know if media has desensitized us or if basic values have just become lax, but I am sometimes amazed at what is on tv. (If you are over 50 you probably know what I mean). Trust me, I am no prude, but some of what I see on tv is so over the top that I find it amazing that it is even allowed on tv.

Anyone remember George Carlin? I loved him, he was raunchy, crude, and funny as hell. How many of the seven dirty words have you heard on tv? I know I have heard some of them.... Take a listen,  
or else....

Join all of the talented writers for 30 days minus 2 over
at www.weworkforcheese.com








11 comments:

  1. I love George Carlin. And yeah, the or else threats stop working eventually... usually around the time they grow taller than you or start driving or both. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say anything because my own language is foul but in spite of that I do know what you mean about TV. I think I'm pretty laid back but there are times it's too much even for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some words I don't really care to hear, but George Carlin always cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carlin always put his finger right on it, didn't he? I remember when he started out as the Hippy Dippy Weather Man. Yeah, I'm that old. Oh, and when my kids would ask me "But why?" I never said "because I said so" or "or else". No I always said "because I am the all powerful and knowing". That usually did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. George Carlin is one of the funniest people I've ever seen in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great video! I'm not sure if we're worse or not here in Finland when it comes to bad language on TV and radio, but I do know that we don't bleep out anything. Ever. I'd never even realised you could do that until I saw it done on American TV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I abhor foul language and never watch TV.

    Okay, it's possible that I'm exaggerating a little.

    So shoot me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Classic Carlin. I liked his honest approach and ability to cut through the falsehood

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really makes me miss George Carlin. And I do think the world's standards decline ever so slightly as time goes on. It leads to more unsavory behavior among certain individuals, but I'll be damned if it doesn't also lead to some interesting television.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate to admit I have the Carlin 7 dirty words memorized and I recite them at parties interspersed with the chorus of The Rodeo Song.

    ReplyDelete
  11. George Carlin used to be considered so outrageous... now you hear those 7 dirty words regularly!

    ReplyDelete