Sunday, January 30, 2011

Romance is in the air....

My girls...
The engaged one is well... engaged! ;) and the wedding planning has begun full force. She is embarking upon a new chapter in her life - an exciting time- stressful yes, but joyous as well. She and her fiance are excited to see each other and try to spend as much time together as they can.

Cheergirlie called me today from JMU- it seems this weekend she met someone... The boy young man is a friend of a friend and the attraction was instantaneous. The young man does not go to JMU but lives about an hour away- and she met him Fri. saw him Sat. night and he asked if he could come back Wed. night to take her out to dinner. He also wants to come back next weekend to see her as well. She is flattered and excited to say the least.

I love romance... I read romance books... I love romantic movies...

Hubby and I have romantic moments... from time to time... but after 26 years you tend to take each other for granted- it's inevitable. The fact that we don't get to see each other every day makes us excited to see each other- but that isn't the same thing as romance.

We both still do the "little things" to make each other happy, but again- it's not the same.

I miss romance- the giddy feeling of anticipation you get in the pit of your stomach. The "looks" you give each other, the flirting...(well we still do that with each other)

The most romantic time I can remember recently was when we took our last vacation together to Jamaica a little over a year ago. Granted our current situation is not conducive for romance. But I think we need a weekend away- just us.

So am I the only old married lady who feels this way?

What do you do to foster romance? Any ideas? :)

5 comments:

  1. I have to say Duke Mom #1 - that the best part of my day, even after 16 years, is the sound of my front door opening in the evening - knowing it is Pooldad. I still get butterflies. I know it isn't 26 years, but, no matter what, even if we are in a spat - he still hugs and kisses me when he comes in the door. And my knees still go weak [that may be poor muscle tone, due to CHF, but I am going for the looooove aspect. heehee]

    We don't celebrate Valentine's day because we figure we have 365 days a year to let eachother know how we feel - why do we have to have a holiday to MAKE us be romantic.

    I know you didn't ask about V Day - but here is what we do to keep romance alive - we have a code that we send eachother on our cell phones - it used to be our pagers [pre cellphone days] and it is "10450" - It means "I will love you for 50 years" [I don't know! I made it up 16 years ago.] It never fails to make the other person know you love them - and it is the easiest way to do it without bothering the other at work [in case they are busy.]

    I put notes in my husband's lunch everyday - sounds silly, but at least he knows I am thinking of him. I even put them in when he makes his own lunch. Surprise!

    I am rambling here, pretty much writing a blogpost [sorry] but I understand taking one another for granted. We don't much do that anymore, as time is precious - but I completely get you're saying.

    Aren't the "inside jokes" the best? And I know you know what I mean. :) We all have them and the kids just look at us and roll their eyes. Am I right?

    I am so excited for the upcoming wedding and getting to read all about and pictures - and I can [almost] hear the excitement in Cheerie's voice. YAY.

    Remember - we are closer, so if you need us to, y'know...take a little roadtrip and quietly, James Bond like - check this guy out - just say the word. heehee

    Hugs and love - lotsa love during this wonderful time. [I am SO smiling right now]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I'm so excited for your daughters, especially the one who has a boy who is taking her to dinner. I didn't think kids did that anymore. When my daughter and her boyfriend go out, she says, "We're going to get food." God forbid someone say they're going out to dinner together like old people.

    I read an interview with Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy and she said after being married for 40+ years, she would still get a little bit of butterflies in her stomach when she would hear him come in the door. I thought that was just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - you now hold the title to "Longest Comment Left By Skippy on a Blog". [Sorry about that - you just got me all excited.]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, we have our moments. After 24 years, it's hard to be all butterflies all the time, but we laugh a lot and we have a lot of date nights and we are the very best of friends.

    Congratulations on your daughter's engagement. What an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's great news! How exciting!! And it sounds like great beginnings for both of them.

    I miss those "first" romance moments also. And I am positively hooked on the romance novels. (couldn't stop me if you tried) I guess they kinda fill in the emotional romance gaps at times and plus it's way to much to expect my husband to ride in on a horse every other day and sweep me off my feet.

    I have gained a few here and there.



    (-:

    ReplyDelete